Saturday, February 11, 2017

Spring In Alabama

Yesterday we enjoyed a “spring-like” day (71°) as we drove out of South Carolina into Georgia and Alabama.  We ended up in an RV Park on the shore of Lake Martin, thirty miles east of Birmingham.  The full moon observed in Maryland on Wednesday night and again in South Carolina on Thursday was showing its face in Alabama last night.  Funny, how that moon just seems to be following us! The moonlight over the lake was an inspirational sight.

My nerves became a little frayed as we drove through the center of Atlanta, Georgia during Friday afternoon traffic.  Interstate 20 became a motor speedway.  The posted speed limit was 55 mph.  Very few were obeying that law.  Most of us (including the truckers) were driving at 70 to 80 mph as a means of self-preservation.  Atlanta is a beautiful city, but I was so occupied with my desire to live to be 75 years of age, that I barely managed a glance or two at the city skyline.


For several years I served at the Air Force Chaplain School in Montgomery, Alabama.  It was a great experience and I have many fond memories.  I remember particularly the warm hospitality and friendliness of the people of Alabama.  I discovered yesterday that that hasn’t changed a bit.  A large part of the joy of traveling is encountering the people met along the way.  If you should happen to travel through Alabama, don’t miss the beautiful and friendly people who live here.  The truth is that everywhere I’ve gone whether here in the USA or in the wider world, I have found beautiful and friendly people!  Don’t miss them where you are!
Lake Martin, Pell City, Alabama

At our "resort" in Pell City, Alabama

No comments:

Post a Comment