Wednesday, August 14, 2019

On “Missing Persons”

The longer one lives the more “missing persons” there are in his or her life.  “A missing person,” in the usual sense, “is a person who has disappeared and whose status is unknown.” The persons I “miss” have disappeared from my life, but I normally know their status.  Most have died.  Some have moved and now live far away.  Others have been lost with the passing of the years and circumstance.  And I miss them.  They are my “missing persons.”  They have disappeared from my life in a physical sense, but they linger on in my heart and mind.  This feeling of having missing persons in your life is expressed in the poignant song, “The Old Man:”

The tears have all been shed now
We’ve said our last good-bye
His soul’s been blessed and he’s laid to rest
And it’s now I feel alone
He was more than just a father
A teacher my best friend
He can still be heard in the tunes we shared
When we play them on our own
I never will forget him for he made me what I am
Though he may be gone memory lingers on 
And I miss him…The old man.

And I miss them…my missing persons.  It is true, they “can still be heard in the tunes we shared,” the times we knew, the moments we had, but that only speaks to why they are on my “missing persons” list.  I miss them precisely because of the tunes we shared, the times we knew, and the moments we had.

I don’t know where I’m going with this subject.  It just came to me this morning when I thought about picking up the phone and calling my friend Mur and having a little chat.  Or if she weren’t available, I figured I could jump in the car and drive to Washington DC and meet with Gordon for lunch at the Potter’s House and we could talk a while. But Mur and Gordon are on my missing persons list.  Though they may be gone memory lingers on…and I miss them...my friends, Mur and Gordon-- missing persons.

  




No comments:

Post a Comment