Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Matt’s Big Rig

I am still savoring yesterday’s visit and lunch with my 24-year-old grandson Matt, up in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.  He called last week saying he would be overnighting in Harrisburg, before driving on to Watkins Glen, NY for the IMSA Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge, and wondered if I might be able to connect with him there for lunch or dinner.  Matt drives an 18-wheeler that has on board all the tools, equipment, parts, wheels, and even a “half a Porsche,” that might be needed during a racing event.  Two other trucks with similar support materials were to meet up with Matt last night and together they will drive on to Watkins Glen today.  At the race itself, Matt is a member of the Pit-Stop crew.  He’s the guy who pumps the gas into the car during those quick stops.

Matt and I haven’t seen each other since Christmas and I was eager to see him and to know how he was enjoying his new job.  So when he called about the Harrisburg stop I jumped at the opportunity.  We met, as planned, at a Truck Stop north of Harrisburg.  That is when I saw, for the first time, the “rig” Matt drives.  I think my mouth fell open and remained open for at least a minute or two! What a truck! I am still flabbergasted.  My grandson, who once sat on my lap, enjoyed driving my lawn tractor, and always dreamed of being involved in racing and being on a Pit-Stop crew is now driving this monster of a truck—and what a fancy truck it is!  The 53’ trailer even has a  lounge area with comfortable sofas and a TV!  

What a special day!  All boys at 11 or 12 years old have dreams about what they want to do when they grow up.  When I was 11 years old, I dreamed of being a naturalist, sailing down the Amazon River and wandering through the rainforests of Brazil.  I still haven’t made it to the Amazon or Brazil. Matt dreamed of being involved in racing, particularly being part of a Pit-Stop crew.  One of his heroes back then was Jeff Gordon.  Today Matt is living out his dream (in part).  Matt's grandad thinks that's incredible!


Drive safely, Matt!  That’s a mighty big rig.



No comments:

Post a Comment