Saturday, June 17, 2017

A Disturbing Woman

Robert Fulghum wrote in “All I Really Need To Know,” the following:

“There is a person who has profoundly disturbed my peace of mind for a long time.  She doesn’t even know me, but she continually goes around minding my business.  We have very little in common.  She is an old woman, an Albanian who grew up in Yugoslavia; she is a Roman Catholic nun who lives in poverty in India.  I disagree with her on fundamental issues of population control, the place of women in the world and in the church, and I am turned off by her naive statement about “what God wants.”  She stands at the center of great contradictory notions and strong forces that shape human destiny.  She drives me crazy.  I get upset every time I hear her name or read her words or see her face.  I don’t even want to talk about her….

She upsets me, disturbs me, shames me.  What does she have that I do not?”

Fulghum is writing about Mother Teresa of Calcutta.   Is there any person in my life who upsets me, disturbs me, shames me so?  Is there any one in your life who drives you crazy as Mother Teresa drove Fulghum crazy?  There should be such a person; a person who says to the world and to us, “We can do no great things; only small things with great love.” 


“If ever there is truly peace on earth, goodwill to men,” writes Fulghum, “it will be because of women like Mother Teresa.  Peace is not something you wish for; it’s something you make, something you do, something you are, and something you give away!”



No comments:

Post a Comment