Tuesday, September 20, 2016

“The Wayward Wind is a Restless Wind” (Day 33)

There was dense fog in Illinois early this morning, but sun quickly broke through. We drove eastward along I-64, through the eastern (lower) half of Illinois, southern Indiana, and eventually crossed the Ohio River into Louisville, KY.  Beautiful country!  We are now situated at a comfortable RV Park in Georgetown, KY, just north of Lexington.  This is horse country and gazing at some of the horse farms along the way, I don’t think a “horse’s life” would be half-bad here in Kentucky!  

I’m trying hard this evening to avoid feeling a bit down as we come to our last few days of this road trip.  Tomorrow we’ll travel northward through West Virginia and the following day through western Maryland and home.  I love being on the road and experiencing this wondrous land and its people.  My wandering gypsy-heart would have me on the road all the time, I think, but there are some responsibilities at home that need tending.  I’ll try to “cheer-up,” even as I think of the weeds waiting to be pulled in the flower gardens and the work needed in the lawn, etc. 

Today, in Indiana, I finally had my first White Castle burger (the original slider)! White Castle was founded in 1921 in Wichita, KS.  What Henry Ford did in the auto industry, White Castle did with making hamburgers (long before McDonald’s).  It is an interesting story—and the White Castle burger a tasty treat!  I can’t believe I finally went to a White Castle after all these years of passing by!  (I’ll cross it off my Bucket-list).

My “traveling CD” includes the song “The Wayward Wind.” I think I might be “The next of kin to the wayward wind!

The wayward wind is a restless wind
A restless wind that yearns to wander
And he was born the next of kin

The next of kin to the wayward wind

No comments:

Post a Comment