Thursday, September 1, 2016

How Fortunate We Are (Day 14)

Today we drove 410 miles from Flagstaff, Arizona to Edwards, California.  Most of the drive was through  the desert.  When we arrived at the Family Camp at Edwards AFB, there was only one camp site open!   How fortunate for us!  

We plugged into shore (external) power and the air-conditioner worked fine for the first twenty minutes and then shut down!  Within a matter of minutes the RV was like a sauna. I thought we were really in trouble until I realized that the micro-wave light was also out—which meant an electrical problem outside rather than inside the RV electrical system.  I tinkered around a bit, and soon had the outside connection fixed!  Whew!  How fortunate for us!  It was 100-plus degrees at that hour. In such moments I wonder if I’m getting too old for this traveling business, but then I am encouraged by my spiritual friend, Mark Twain, who wrote, “Age is an issue of mind over matter.  If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.”


The continuous change and contrast in both temperature and terrain are part of the wanderer’s life.  Yesterday we were at an elevation of 7000 feet, today at 2310 feet.  Yesterday we were surrounded by pine forests and mountains and today by Joshua trees and barren desert.  Yesterday we awoke to 45° and tomorrow morning we will awake to 70°.  


Tomorrow, if all goes well, we will travel 300-plus miles to reach our second destination,   Monterey, California, where we will “stay put” for a few days.  We will have traveled some 3,200 miles at that point.  The only issue so far has been a failed headlight, which I was able to fix on my own.  How fortunate we are!
Breath-taking view in Sedona AZ

No comments:

Post a Comment