Tuesday, October 20, 2015

The Coming of Autumn

I find myself singing to myself this morning, “The autumn leaves pass by my window, the autumn leaves of red and gold.” as the leaves drift down from the trees in my back yard. Not many are red or gold, except for those that cling to my neighbor’s dogwood tree. The chill in the air reminds me that autumn is well on its way and very soon, the trees will become barren, the ferns will dry up and hug the ground, and even the grass will take on its winter hue. Everything has its season according to the writer of Ecclesiastes. There is a time for this, and a time for that, and another time for something else. 
We were meant to bloom....
What kind of time will this autumn be for me? Will I, like the squirrels I’m watching just now in my back lawn, gather and store what I need in preparation for some other time? Will I, like the daffodil bulbs I’ve planted along the fence, hunker down and wait patiently and with hope for what is to be when another time comes? I certainly don’t want to shrivel up and hide away somewhere like those dahlia tubers I dug up last week!
We are not leaves, or squirrels, daffodil bulbs or dahlia tubers! Winter, spring, summer and autumn may affect our human spirit some, but every season in nature and in our living, is our time to live and to live as fully as we can. There is no need to let our leaves fall and become barren, no need to gather and store for some other day, no need to hunker down and just wait, no need to shrivel up and hide away. We are called to live abundantly in every season—to live with gratitude, joy, hope, and love now and always. 

(October 14, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment