Friday, June 22, 2018

Why Don’t You Believe Me

The song, sung by Dean Martin, “Why Don’t You Believe Me,” popped into my head this morning as I looked at my Facebook Timeline filled with posts from my Trump-supporter friends.   I’m not complaining, well, maybe just a little.  But, after all, I can “snooze” them, “hide” them, “unfriend” them, “delete” them, or “unfollow” them.  My friends who do not like what I post on their Timelines can snooze me, hide me, unfriend me, delete me, or unfollow me as well.  If I can post my anti-Trump rants then my friends have every right to post their pro-Trump rants and we are both free to do with those posts what we will.  One of the things that I liked about developing a blog was that it would not be foisted on my Facebook friends.  The only part of this blog seen on your Timeline is the “quote of the day,” a photo, and the subject of the blog and the first few lines.  You have to choose, or click on the blog, if you are interested in reading it.  Perhaps all posts should be that way?

I wonder about my Facebook friends and I’m sure they wonder about me.  In fact, several told me in recent days that they are worried  about me and that I ought to ease off Facebook (some even worry that I might have a heart attack or stroke).  The issue seems to boil down to the song ringing in my head:  Why don’t you believe me?  And why don’t I believe you?  Most of the time it has to do with our “sources.”  Where do we glean or find our information?  According to the President of the United States, if you watch Fox News and I choose to watch CNN, you are getting the truth and I am getting “Fake” news.  The President is the highest authority in the land (not exactly, but figuratively)—so I suppose one could say—he has it right. What better source could one find?  After all, he has claimed more knowledge about ISIS than the generals and labels himself as a genius.  But, do you really believe that every cable network except Fox is presenting lies and falsehoods to their audience?  What is the basis for this belief?  What is your evidence, your source for such a pronouncement?  Ah, got it!—Mr. Trump, the President of the United States said so.  Well, why don’t you believe me?

Mr. Trump has said a lot of things since that day (three years ago) when he descended the escalator in his gilded “Tower” and declared himself a candidate, saying,  “The U.S. has become a dumping ground for everybody else's problems….It's true, and these are the best and the finest. When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.” Dear friends, that simply is not true.  Why don’t you believe me? With Mr. Trump it is always someone else’s fault, he is absolutely faultless:  it is the Democrats, Crooked Hillary, Obama, Immigrants who are responsible.  Don’t you get it?  Why don’t you believe me?

Don't be buffaloed!


No comments:

Post a Comment