Friday, January 19, 2018

California, Here We Come

In spite of the frigid temperatures here on the East coast we’ve  been busy making preparations for a winter sojourn across country.  Our Odysseus (mini-motorhome) is ready to hit the road again and I am, too. I’ve been humming the unofficial state song of California made famous in 1921 by Al Jolson for the last several days:  


When the wintry winds start blowing
And the snow is starting to fall
Then my eyes turn westward knowing
That's the place that I love best of all
California, I've been blue
Since I've been away from you.
I can't wait till I get going...
California, here I come.

I'm not sure California is "the place that I love best of all," but it is the place where my mother-in-law resides and for the last 54 years we've tried to visit her as often as possible.  Nita (my mother-in-law) will be 94 years-old next month.  Her birthday is just a few days after my own.  Its party time!

To get to California we travel through many other places.  The time of year determines which places we'll pass through.  For the winter trek we go south--as far south as we can get and we'll be singing as we go:  "Jacksonville, Pensacola, Houston, El Paso, Tucson, Yuma, here we come on Interstate 10."  There is no guarantee that we will avoid cold and wintry weather going south on I-10.  It was only a few days ago that this southernmost Interstate highway was closed for several days due to icy conditions!

There is no way one can get from here to there (whether traveling the highways or the journey of life) without risk, without unwanted, unexpected obstacles along the way.  There is no way one can get from here to there without traveling through other places (some pleasant and some not so pleasant).  How sad it is when we think we can’t get there from here anymore!  California, Here We Come!


Odysseus in Flagstaff AZ--2017






No comments:

Post a Comment