Monday, December 25, 2017

Dreaming the Christmas Dream

Perry Como sang it.  Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice wrote it.  It was used  in the 1974 film The Odessa File.  Does anyone remember the song, “Christmas Dream?”  Here are just a few stanzas to help jog your memory and your Christmas dream along:


Watch me now, here I go, all I need's a little snow! 
Starts me off, sets the theme, 
helps me dream my Christmas dream.  
Every year I dream it, hoping things will change,
An end to the crying, the shouting, the dying,
And I hope you will dream it too!  
It's Christmas, Remember?
We've got to remember!

Nights should all be silent,
Days should all slow down,
An end to the hurry, the noise and the worry!
And I hope you believe that too!
It's Christmas, Remember?
Does no one remember?

The whole world needs a Christmas dream,
We need it to warm us, to calm us, to love us,
To help us dream our Christmas dream!

What is this Christmas dream? What is the Christmas dream you dream?  I’ve asked myself these questions since hearing the song sung last night.  The Christmas dream is God’s dream.  It is the dream God dreams for all men, women, and children everywhere, no matter their religion, their color, their culture, their poverty or wealth.  It is expressed best for me in the symbolic words of Isaiah:  “Then the wolf shall live with the sheep, and the leopard lie down with the kid; the calf and the young lion shall grow up together, and a little child shall lead them; the cow and the bear shall be friends, and their young shall lie down together….”

As the lyrics say, we must get hold of this larger Christmas dream (we need it to warm us, to calm us, to love us) because only with it can we dream our own Christmas dreams.  (If this doesn't make any sense to you, I'm sorry.  It makes a lot of sense to me this Christmas morning.)  Merry Christmas!

The wolf, the lion, the cow and the bear are missing.
It doesn't have to be that way.
 The Christmas dream can bring us together.

No comments:

Post a Comment