Friday, September 8, 2017

Ramblin’ Fever

We are not being forced to evacuate from the path of Hurricane Irma, but we plan to evacuate tomorrow anyway because of the need to get “On the Road Again.”  This journey to visit family in New Jersey and then a brief excursion into Maine for some lobster and clam chowder was planned long before Irma became a "real and present danger.”  Odysseus, our miniature RV, needs some exercise and I need to be on the road again.  I am not yet ready to sing that old “Scouting” song, “Back to Gilwell:”
I used to be a traveler and a happy traveler too
But now I've through with traveling
I don't know what to do
I'm growing old and feeble, I cannot travel no more
So I'm going to buy my ticket if I can.

I prefer to hold on to the attitude of Douglas MacArthur:  “Years wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.”  Who wants a wrinkled soul? I’m going to wander the highways and byways whenever and wherever I can, for as long as I can!  I really get enthused about doing so!

I prefer to sing Merle Haggard’s song:
My hat don't hang on the same nail too long
My ears can't stand to hear the same old song
And I don't leave the highway long enough
To bog down in the mud
'Cause I've got ramblin' fever in my blood
I caught this ramblin' fever long ago
When I first heard a lonesome whistle blow
….
I've had ramblin' fever all along
Ramblin' fever, the kind that can't be measured by degrees
Ramblin' fever, there ain't no kind of cure for my disease

It should be said, however, that a gypsy soul is not prevented from “ramblin’” even when off the road.  Erich Fromm put it this way:

“Let your mind start a journey thru a strange new world.  Leave all thoughts of the world you knew before.  Let your soul take you where you long to be…Close your eyes let your spirit start to soar, and you’ll live as you’ve never lived before.”



No comments:

Post a Comment