Sunday, April 16, 2017

Easter Reality

The Easter story is recorded in the Gospels according to Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.  Each tell the story a little differently—they tell the story “according to” Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.  It is natural for each of us to see things from our own perspective.   Even eye witnesses viewing the same event see it and report it differently. What is the Easter Gospel according to you, according to me?

Two passages in Matthew and Mark’s Easter story have always spoken to me. The women are told to go tell Jesus’ disciples: “He has been raised from the dead and is going on before you into Galilee; there you will see him.”  Then as they hurry away from the empty tomb to deliver the message, “Suddenly Jesus was there in their path…

My grandparents, parents, and others have gone before me.  Each has given me some direction, some guidance, some awareness of what to expect and anticipate along life’s path.  They were models for my adulthood, my parenting, my values, and the ideals that have shaped me.   It certainly helps to have someone go ahead of you, to show you the way, to teach you the ropes, to blaze the trail for you. Many are the moments, especially in these later years, when I see on my path, my granddad, my mother, or my father, even though they are no longer living.  They have gone “before me” yet in my wandering through the Galilee of life, there are moments when suddenly they are there in my path!


“He…is going on before you…and there you will see him.” Easter reality is not based on an empty tomb we have never seen.  Easter reality is not found in the scripture.  Easter reality is not based on tradition or what the Church, or the Apostle’s Creed say about it.  Nor is Easter reality based on what others have handed down to us.  Easter reality comes when “suddenly Jesus is right there in our path!

Bangor, Wales--2015

No comments:

Post a Comment