Monday, March 13, 2017

Homeward Bound

It snowed yesterday in Tennessee.  It rained in Georgia—a cold, cold rain! I’m sure the catfish in the pond missed their lunch of peanut butter sandwiches, but I had no desire to get wet!  The Great Blue Heron, however, was not daunted by the rain and was out early at the pond looking for his breakfast. The RV is winterized now, and we will get on the road again this morning pointing north and homeward, hopefully with only a one night stay (could be two, I suppose) somewhere in North Carolina.  The weather issues in the mid-Atlantic only add to our February-March adventure on the road!  It snowed the day we left home over a month ago.  We’ve traveled some 7500 miles of America’s highways and byways through thunderstorms, tornado warnings, sleet, hail, wind, heat, cold, snow in Arizona, and rain in California.  We’ve donned “shorts” in some places—and needed “long johns” (which we didn’t have) in others. This is to be expected at this time of the year.

Yesterday, “time” sprang forward as we added an extra hour of daylight on our watches and clocks.  Cell phones do that for us automatically now and so does life. Time sprang forward for me in February when another year was added to my life’s journey.  “Time,” wrote William Penn, “is what we want most, but what we use worst.”  And Dr. Seuss adds his own quip about time when he writes, “How did it get so late so soon?”  

Salad is on the table--now for the pasta!
“I sit beside the fire and think (J.R.R. Toikien wrote for me)
Of all that I have seen
Of meadow flowers and butterflies
In summers that have been

Of yellow leaves and gossamer
In autumns that there were
With morning mist and silver sun
And wind upon my hair

I sit beside the fire and think
Of how the world will be
When winter comes without a spring
That I shall never see.

For still there are so many things
That I have never seen
In every wood in every spring
There is a different green…”


Dubln, GA--Honeysuckle Farm RV Park

No comments:

Post a Comment