Wednesday, November 9, 2016

The American Brexit

The results are now in (apparently the system was not rigged after all) and we have a president-elect who loves being a winner.  This winner was not my choice, but apparently he was the choice of half of the American people. We are a government of the people, by the people, for the people, and I must now accept the election process even if I find that choice deeply repugnant and a serious threat to our democracy and a real slap in the face to the American Dream.  This isn’t the first time a candidate has been elected who was not my choice. It is, however, the first time I have ever been disappointed with the electorate and scared to death of their choice.

Having said that, I will respect the Office of the President of the United States. I will not say what Mitch McConnell said after President Obama was elected, nor will I say, “You lie,” as Joe Wilson yelled in front of a global audience.  I will not even suggest that Mr. Trump show his birth certificate (or his tax return).  

The “America” chosen by the electorate last night is not the America I want nor the America I have served and loved. I will continue to speak out for my vision of America.  I used a quote from Abraham Lincoln a few days ago and it seems appropriate to use it again this morning:  “Elections,” he said, “belong to the people. It's their decision. If they decide to turn their back on the fire and burn their behinds, then they will just have to sit on their blisters.”  The election is over and now we will find out if we have burned our behinds and will have to sit on our blisters for the next four years. We shall see….


No comments:

Post a Comment