Saturday, January 2, 2021

"Because I Say So" Is Not Sufficient

 “Because I Say So” Is Not Sufficient


I’ve got a lot on my plate these days, but I just have to say something about what is going on in our nation and the threat it poses to our “government of the people, by the people and for the people”. 


A free election was held on November 2, 2020.  Over 59 challenges of the election result have been filed and rejected by state and federal courts, including the Supreme Court.  The Electoral College has certified the President-elect as Joseph Biden.  State recounts have verified that all votes were counted and no evidence of any kind of fraud has been found.


I recall, on occasion, saying to my children as they were growing up. that such and such was so because “I say so.”  That works sometimes with children (not often, but sometimes a parent can get away with it).  A voice of authority saying “this is so because I say so” does not always work with children and should never work with grown ups.  As adults we should insist on evidence and fact, not on somebody saying this or that is true or false  because I say so.  


Donald Trump says he won the election.  Does that make it so?  Absolutely not!  We are not children who willingly accept something because somebody in a position of authority says so. The evidence and the facts indicate that Mr. Trump is wrong.  The greatest threat to democracy is to believe some thing because one person “says so!”  That is precisely what Germany did in 1932-34.





"Dictatorship, by whatever name, is founded on the doctrine that the individual amounts to nothing; that the State (or leader Donald Trump) is the only one that counts; and that men and women and children were put on earth solely for the purpose of serving the state (or leader Trump).” Parenthesis added.

(Harry S. Truman)

No comments:

Post a Comment