Thursday, May 16, 2019

Now Is The Time

Many years ago I heard a sermon delivered by an Air Force chaplain based on Mark 14:3-9, the story of the woman who came to Jesus in Bethany with a “very costly perfume” and poured the oil over his head.  Jesus’ disciples complained about the waste, but Jesus said, “Let her alone.  Why must you make trouble for her?  It is a fine thing she has done for me.  You have the poor among you always, and you can help them whenever you like; but you will not always have me.”

Some people use the story to suggest that the “poor” will always be among us and we’ll never solve that social problem, thus missing the point Jesus was attempting to make:  “you will not always have me.”

We will not always have our grandparents, our parents, our brothers, our sisters, our friends with us.  At this stage of the journey I know this is a fact of life.  Our family, our friends, our neighbors are with us but for a little while.  

The chaplain who delivered that sermon (one of the few sermons I remember, including my own) would be 86 years old now.  Is he still living, I wonder?   I met up with him years ago (early 1980’s) in Tucson, AZ.  I remember walking together for hours one evening reminiscing about our time together in the early 1960’s.  Later, at the outbreak of “Desert Storm,” I received a call from him (out of the blue).  I have not heard from him since and he has not heard from me.  Where is he?  I hope to find out and give him a call, because a poem he used in his sermon is still speaking to me.  Years ago, a friend, copied the poem in calligraphy and framed it for me.  It has had a place in every one of my cubicles (study, office) since, so I see it everyday.  Is it too late?

Here are the struggles and striving;
Here are the cares and the tears;
Now is the time to be smoothing 
The frowns and furrows and fears.
What to closed ears are kind sayings
What to hushed heart, is deep vow?
Naught can avail after parting,
So give them the flowers now.
(Anonymous)

And yet another iris blooms...

No comments:

Post a Comment