Friday, August 18, 2017

Gone Fishin’

Even torrential rain could not keep Odysseus from getting on the road again yesterday afternoon.  The rain only added to the adventure!  Halfway to our destination the rain subsided.  One of the blessings of retirement is the freedom to travel during the middle of the week when others are not free to do so.  The park is nearly empty of campers and people this morning.  I feel like I have the whole place to myself.  

The first order of business was to find the campsite, back in, plug in the electric, locate the water supply (though Odysseus carries water) and the restroom and showers.  The second was to report in at home.  The third was to take a long walk to get oriented, and in particular, to find the fishing pond.

The evening was spent enjoying a pasta dinner (Rachel Ray’s microwave pasta cooker makes that easy), watching the national news (yes, I have a TV, though I wish I hadn’t watched it last night) and then some reading.  The high humidity issue was resolved by turning on the air-conditioning for an hour or so.  Later,  as the air became more tolerable, I turned off the A/C, opened windows, turned on the fan, and fell asleep on my comfortable queen-size bed listening to the sounds of the night.  How’s that for primitive camping!


I awoke later than usual this morning (2 hours later).  It must be the mountain air, or perhaps the comfortable bed.  As soon as I finish my breakfast (eggs and bacon) and several cups of coffee, I’ll take a walk along one of the trails.  Then, I’ll post a ‘Gone Fishin’ sign on Odysseus and meander down to the pond.  It is not important that I catch any fish.  What is important is that I have  ‘Gone Fishin’.


No comments:

Post a Comment