Sunday, October 23, 2016

Dreams of An Aging Wanderer

The days grow shorter (in more ways than just seasonal).  Winter is on the way and that means it is time to winterize the Odyssey (our mini-motor home). Our brief journey to Maine this past week only induced a stronger pull on my gypsy spirit to be “On the Road Again,” but I must pull back the reins now.  Winter is coming. What a pity!  

Hearing my siblings talk of their recent visit in Italy set my mind whirling.  My son and his wife just returned from China and that also goads my wandering spirit.  I’m ready to go again, but where?  For the past five years I’ve dreamed of going back to the Island of Crete—renting an apartment in some small village for a month, and just basking in the beauty of that very special place which so influenced my life many years ago.  On the other hand, there are other Greek Isles I’d like to visit, like Mycenae, Naxos, and Mykonos.  We shall see, but “go” somewhere I must “While It Is Day!”  I must not delay or defer my dreams, nor should you!

My older brother and I talked of aging and how it sneaks up on us.  Little things begin to creep into our lives, from arthritis to stamina, and what we once took for granted is now diminishing.  This is reality.  What I once could accomplish in a day a few years ago now takes two or three.  If I have dreams to live, I must bring them to fruition now.

I’m reminded of Langston Hughes poem, “Dream Deferred:”

What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
Like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

No comments:

Post a Comment