Monday, January 24, 2022

Hodge-podge

 Hodge-podge is a soup or stew.  I like hodge-podge, especially at this time of year.  Leftover ham, with onions, garlic, celery, carrots, beans, and other mixed vegetables has become a favorite. The really neat thing about hodge-podge is that you can put it together with almost anything (and everything) that happens to be in the fridge or the pantry cupboards. 


I suppose that is why the word “hodge-podge” has come to mean “a confused mixture” (rather than a soup or stew) in our modern vocabulary.  Synonyms for hodge-podge include words like:  agglomeration, assortment, grab bag, melange, potpourri, etc.  


This writing is a hodge-podge—an assortment of things that cause annoyance; a mixture of things that rankle in my mind and irk my soul on occasion. And believe you me, there are many!


The first annoyance came in reading a FaceBook post that said:  “God is watching over you, I know because I asked him to.”  This blows my mind.  Does the person mean that God only watches over those for whom he or she asks God to watch over?  Does it mean that “my will, desire, wish” is the only thing that will cause God to watch over another person? Does it mean that God does what I want God to do?  What kind of God is that?  


Another thing that often disturbs me is the prayer:  “God bless me and my family.”  Even “God bless America” irks my soul on occasion.  Why?  Because it eliminates most of God’s children, most of God’s beloved community.  Is God around only to bless America?  Is God only concerned with your concerns (my family)?  What about all the other people, all the other nations of this world?  Do we want only to be blessed ourselves and not ask or seek God’s blessing upon everyone and every nation?


The New Testament is not afraid to use the word “all.”  And we should not be afraid  to use the word in our thought and prayer.  In fact, the New Testament focus is on “all” and not just some.  “I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all (men) to myself.”  “…so also in Christ shall all be made alive.”  “God so loved the world…that he gave…”  “I have other sheep, not of this fold.”  Christ “gave himself as a ransom for all.”  


It is impossible to set limits to the grace of God—and yet we try to do so. Let’s stop doing it.  




No comments:

Post a Comment