Monday, April 13, 2020

“Time” in this Time

There is the precious gift of “time” in this “stay-at-home” time.  Time to catch up on what needs to be caught up. Time to think.  Time to remember.  Time to reflect. Time to read.  Time to listen.  Time to question.  Time to do.  Time to cry. Time to pray. Time to ponder. Time to love.  Time to care. How are you doing with your “time” in this staying at home time?  William Penn’s epigram about “time” from his book “Some Fruits of Solitude,” written in 1682 come to mind:  “Time is what we want most, but what we use worst.”  

I’ve wanted “time” for a long time to do “this" or to do “that”.  I should, for example, take time in this “time” to read that little book of Penn’s again.  I can remember saying in another time and place,  “When I retire and have the “time” I want to read this or that book again.”  Well, the time has come, lots of time, without any disturbance or interruption.  The books await me.  

I read again over the weekend Mitch Albom’s wonderful book, “Tuesdays With Morrie”.   The reading prompted memories of George, just one such Morrie in my journey.  How fortunate I feel and how grateful I am for the gift of so many Morries!

George and I met in 1968.  I was 25 years old; George was 56 years old.  He was a retired school teacher and columnist for the local newspaper; I was just starting out.  Our relationship spanned nearly a half century (George died in 2007).  

“Yes, time is precious,” George wrote me from his assisted living home.  “I have been blessed by being given some extra time.  I hope I have used and am using it wisely and what little I do has some worthwhile effect on the people around me.”  

“Ninety-one is just about the same as ninety,” George wrote, “though there are semblances of additional barnacles—like chronic ache in the back and frequent instances of insomnia.  I feel pretty much alive at the moment…My cardiologist examined me yesterday and suggested that I am good for a few more years.  I will try to oblige him—reinforce his considered opinion. We shall see.”

On the occasion of my father’s death, George wrote:  “I think of my father everyday and sometimes many times during that day.  He will have been dead 58 years tomorrow.  He was 80 years old plus exactly six months.  I experience the same feelings as those that you do.”  I know I have given this to you before, but here goes”
“When Father took my by the hand,
I had no thought of fear;
And even now, when trials come,
I feel his presence near.

Time! Precious time! Special people within time.  Memories that hold time.  “Time is what we want most…” We have been given the gift of “time” within this time.






No comments:

Post a Comment