Wednesday, June 12, 2019

On Using the Right Word

Ignorance is not stupidity.  I am wholly ignorant (but not stupid) when it comes to dealing with mechanical things.  I lack knowledge, information, and understanding about how an automobile engine works and have not the slightest idea of what to do when the engine won’t start.  I take my vehicle to a mechanic, that is, someone who does have knowledge, information, and understanding about that kind of thing.  If you call me “ignorant” in regard to mechanical things I would not be offended or insulted.  I recognize my lack of knowledge in this area.  If you called me an “ignoramus” (synonyms include words like idiot, dunce, moron, or simpleton) I might take offense, because that word implies that I am unable to learn anything about mechanical things.  You would be implying by the use of that word that I am stupid rather than ignorant.

I have learned how to jump start a car battery—in fact, I recently installed a new battery in my lawn mower (but only after getting advice and instructions from a mechanic as to just how to do it).  One of the benefits of YouTube are the “How To” presentations. I recently installed a new rack in our dishwasher by watching a YouTube video.  It works!  I can learn how to do things that I am currently ignorant about.

Geniuses are ignorant of all sorts of things, but they are not stupid.  They just don’t have the knowledge or information needed to know about or to accomplish certain tasks.  

The word “stupid” means that one lacks the intellectual capacity to learn, to know, to understand, and to do.  Do you see the difference in the use of these two words?  An ignorant person has the intellectual capacity to learn, to know, and to be informed, but just hasn’t gotten around to it.  

It has been reported that only 3% of the American people have read the Mueller Report.  That means that 97% of the American people are ignorant about what that report actually contains.  It doesn’t mean they are stupid.  It simply means that they have not taken the time to peruse that information. They do not know what the report says, just as I am ignorant about my vehicle’s engine.  They are ignorant of it, but not stupid, because they have the intellectual capacity to read it and know what it says.  They just haven’t done so. If that is the case, then 97% of the people ought to admit ignorance in that regard.

Yorkminster speaks with architecture rather
than words.



No comments:

Post a Comment