Wednesday, May 9, 2018

An Embarrassed Christian

For many years now I have said on numerous occasions that I am sometimes embarrassed to be called  a Christian—especially when lumped with others who call themselves by that name.  When the Hillsboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kansas is called “Christian” I am more than embarrassed.  Of the “25 most influential Evangelicals in America” chosen by Time magazine some years ago, I was embarrassed and somewhat ashamed to be lumped together with most of them.  Their Christian faith does not seem to resemble my own!  Binny Hinn, Joyce Meyers, John Hagee, and Joel Osteen, et. al.—the famous (and rich) televangelists do not represent what I understand to be the Christian faith.  If they are authentic Christians, then I would prefer not to be part of the lump.   

What right do I have to be the judge and jury that decides what or who is Christian and what or who is not?  Can I, in fact, call myself a Christian if I denigrate those who claim to be? And when I do denigrate these others am I not becoming a part of them—for they are often continuously denigrating others. What is an authentic Christian anyway? Jesus rebuked his disciples for attempting to quiet a man casting out demons in his name, saying, “Forbid him not, for he who is not against us is for us.” My problem is that these alleged Christians who irk my mind and soul do in fact “go against the grain” of what I understand to be the Christian way.  It is utter frustration for me and has been for years!  But even so, “You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister,”  writes the Apostle Paul in his Letter to the Romans, “who are you, sir, to hold your brother in contempt.”  Paul admonishes me for my negative reactions toward my brothers and sisters, and suggests that an apology is in order.  I do apologize, but I am still embarrassed!

There are many ways and forms in which a person can be a Christian.  The imitation of Christ (“For I have set you an example…”) does not mean to live a life like Jesus, but to live one’s own life as authentically as Jesus lived his life.  If we accept this reality,  then there will be as many forms of the Christian faith as there are individuals who claim the name (which is why we have a plethora of denominational churches).  I am embarrassed by the preaching and thinking of some of my brothers and sisters, to be sure, but I am just as sure that they are embarrassed by my own.

The road may be narrow, but it is a long road and there are many
who travel it--not just me!




1 comment:

  1. I share many of your thoughts and feelings about being embarrassed by those who preach and worship and consider themselves to be Christian. I guess I feel this most of all when I notice that many evangelical Christians seem to not apply the central message of Jesus to their attitudes about issues that clearly call for justice and fair treatment for the disinherited. I certainly must embarrass some other Christians as I, too, fall short of meeting the criteria that I espouse, but cannot live out perfectly in my own life and actions.

    I think you can love others whose definition of Christianity is different than one's own and we have an obligation to treat them with love and kindness, if we espouse the message I believe is central to the teaching of Jesus. Nevertheless I am embarrassed to be lumped in with those who justify injustice in all its forms. I am still trying to figure this out after 60 years of living.( Not counting the first ten, in which I thought about unkindness as taught in my Quaker meeting, but didn't really give much thought to the bigger issues. But when the time came when I noticed some of the issues and differences of opinion among those who call themselves Christian, I felt troubled. I rarely describe myself as a Christian for this reason, The reason I do not, is that in my comunity, which is primarily populated by evangelical Christians, the word is often use to describe a good person. "She's a good Christian woman" translates around these parts as being a good person to be respected. I have a hard time using the word because I believe that there are many good people who do not consider themselves Christians, from whom we have much to learn, My father, a Jew, who did not consider himself a Christian, told me once, that the best "Christian" he ever knew was a Hindu man we knew. His life was characterized by those principles that my Dad thought were true Christian values that honored the divinity of all and practiced forgiveness humility, kindness etc. When it comes down to it, the verse from Micah, that describes what God requires of us, " To love mercy, to love justice, and to walk humbly with your God" is a pretty good summary of what Christianity and many other religions stand for. Micah himself, was A Jew. Just thinking about your thoughts. I guess I am sometimes embarrassed to describe myself as Christian for the same reason you have been, and am still struggling with this issue. I recently wrote to my Senator about an issue I cared about, which was not supported by conservatives. I decided to identify myself as a Christian, who cared deeply about Christian values and asked him to consider that as he made a decision about some social program that was being cut from the federal budget that would ensure poor children of adequate medical care. I did so, because I don't like that it is somehow assumed that Christians represent a certain political stance. I frankly do not want to allow those in power to assume that all Christians are conservatives, and that progressive folks are secular and do not base their values and concerns on the Christian values they espouse. ie The evangelicals do not have a corner on what is considered to be Christianity. There is a lot of room for interpretation.

    ReplyDelete