Sunday, February 18, 2018

Where Have All The Roadrunners Gone?

We drove some 240 miles yesterday from El Paso to Fort Stockton, Texas.  I am trying to be faithful to my new discipline of driving a maximum of 300 miles per day.  At this rate, in TEXAS, I may not get out of the state until next month! 

On our way west several weeks ago, we stayed at the Roadrunner RV Park here in Fort Stockton. We decided to stay at a different RV park this time around just to add some variety to our life on the road.  Actually, we stayed at this park, the Fort Stockton RV Park, last February.  The Fort Stockton RV Park has the “Best Little Cafe in Texas” called The Roadrunner Cafe.  We took advantage of the cafe for both dinner last night and breakfast this morning.  (I needed a break from cooking and doing the dishes). 

Fort Stockton has a rich history.  The Fort grew up around Comanche Springs (one of the largest sources of spring water in Texas) and its mission was to protect the western expansion.  In 1867, the famous Buffalo soldiers were stationed at the fort. 

Today we continue our journey eastward on Interstate 10, traveling to (and I hope, though) San Antonio before the day ends.  

I have yet to see a roadrunner on this trip.  Normally I see one or two here in Texas or in New Mexico or Arizona.  Where have all the roadrunners gone?   A roadrunner’s life is not an easy one and has many dangers.  Roadrunners are preyed upon by hawks, raccoons, snakes (even though the roadrunner enjoys rattlesnakes for dinner on occasion) and skunks.  During the winter months, many roadrunners succumb to freezing, icy weather.  Another and much more prevalent predator these days is the automobile. I feel a certain kinship with this bird since I am somewhat of a roadrunner myself.




No comments:

Post a Comment