Sunday, October 22, 2017

"This Little Light of Mine"

I know that my rants and ravings in recent months may seem to some as more political than religious, more partisan than unbiased, more critical than complimentary, and more judgmental and disparaging than charitable.  Shouldn’t I (as a Christian) be more charitable and less critical? Dare I make judgments or criticize?  Doesn’t my ranting go against the teachings of the One I claim as Master of my life?  Did he not say:  judge not,…love one another…be gentle, and turn the other cheek? Indeed, these are some of his teachings, but there is much more to the Judeo-Christian faith than this and of much greater importance.    Embedded in the whole fabric of the Judeo-Christian faith is “the overthrow of the existing order.”  Our world is organized in a selfish way completely contrary to God’s way.  People of faith are to be a light penetrating this darkness; a word of justice penetrating all unjust social arrangements; a word of judgment against whatever undermines the “fulfillment of humanity.”  With “this little light of mine” I am attempting, in my small way, to penetrate the present darkness, while it is day.  


Mahatma Gandhi said, “My politics is my religion, my religion my politics.”  So it is with me!  My religion is an empty thing if it does not speak words of judgement and seek to overthrow the existing order.  My politics is an empty thing if it does not bear the marks of my religious faith and commitment. 

The light goes on shining in the darkness
 and the darkness does not put it out."


No comments:

Post a Comment